AnneBrooke

Anne Brooke: fiction writer

Contemporary gay romance and fantasy writer. Also loves flowers and bakes the occasional cake. Sometimes they're edible ...

Anne Brooke – A Seasonal Reunion

Reblogged from Hearts On Fire Reviews:
A Seasonal Reunion - Anne Brooke

Reviewed by: Lucy

Summary:  Danny Brigson makes a serious mistake when he sleeps with Marty, an old boyfriend, at an ill-advised reunion. He tries to cover it up, but Marty tells all, and the love of Danny's life, Jake, throws him out.

Over the next year, with the help of his boss at work, Danny tries to sort out his life. He is at last determined to stop relying on drugs and drink to get him through. However, can he even dare to hope that one day Jake might give him the chance to put things right?

NOTE: This story was previously published under the title Two Christmases with the ISBN: 978-1-61581-341-4. This reissued version of the story has been revised and reedited.

Review: Normally, I hate books about infidelity, and I try very hard to avoid them. This one caught my interest, because it is written in first person POV  by the cheater, and I was not only ready to hate him but I was very curious to see how he would try to excuse himself and his actions. Then I was surprised, because I didn't hate him. Hated his actions, yes, very much. He was a drug user, drinker and a cheat. The way he broke up with Marty was reprehensible, and yet that's who he cheated with. Even then, he was going to try to cover it up and lie, but Marty got there first. On the day Jake was going to propose, no less. Danny knew how important monogamy was to Jake due to family history and  how much he didn't like the drugs, yet he was willing to put all that on the line for a night of what? Pleasure?

At one point Danny did use the "it's what happens at a club. It's not like you and me", which lowered him still further, but at least he was aware of the pain he caused. He was remorseful. I still don’t like reading about cheaters,  but this was done well, and showed a way to redemption that wasn’t overly easy on either of them and actually showed the damage caused.